The New Year is in less than a week and even if you make a resolution that seems simple by the time February comes along you may have forgotten about it. Make resolutions that are set up to fail, for example don’t say you won’t eat sugar all year (wine has sugar…remember that). Keep in mind that if you make it through the month of January you will probably make it through the year. You can also choose a resolution that is a stepping stone to a bigger goal that you want to achieve in the year, it can be something like working out 2 times a week for the month of January and in February you make it 3 times a week and so on.
Here are some ideas for resolutions:
- Let’s just get this one out-of-the-way, it’s probably the number one resolution people make. To lose weight, get in shape or start eating healthier. For you to stick to this one it’s better to say something more specific. Like lose a pound a week, working out two days a week, or eating one vegan meal a week. This will ensure you to stick to your goal in the long run. Developing healthy habits and doing it slowly will help you stick to your goals. (The month of January, I’ll post recipes, diet tricks and tips to help you maintain your goals)
- Be kinder, this may seem simple. Even if it’s just complimenting someone new everyday, showing gratitude and appreciation for something someone does for you no, even if it’s small. Just showing good manners and being polite will make you feel better even when dealing with someone who is rude. You will never regret being kind. Showing gratitude, being nice to someone will help you reduce stress in your life and make you feel happier.
- Get more sleep or better sleep. Sleep will do wonders for you. Sleep will help you lose weight, stay looking younger and make you live longer. The blue light from your electronics affect your REM sleep. It also disrupts digestion, immune function, hormone regulation (causing depression). The light exposure from your tablet/phone/computer alters melatonin in your body so you don’t sleep deeply, leaving you feeling tired in the morning. Scientists say that you are supposed to retire your electronics a few hours before bed, if you are like me and don’t have a time that you go to bed this can be hard. I try to put my phone away 30-1hr before bed. Doing that I noticed it was easier every day to put my phone down when I started to get ready for bed. My eyes have been looking more rested and fresher.
- Spend more time with people you care about, whether that be family, friends or fur kids. If your family is across the world spending time with them might be a 20 minute Skype call once a week. If you have a busy schedule and don’t see your friends try to do an activity that you both want to do like taking a workout class together, or a hike. Scheduling and balancing your schedule will help you stay more organized fitting more into your day. So it’s a win-win.
- Learn something new. It can be something easy like cook, bake, make your favorite cocktail, meditate. Learning something new will make you happy. It’s something you will be doing for yourself and everyone needs to do something to better themselves and maybe it will make you feel more centered. Learning new skills or picking up a hobby is a way of growing. Try something new once a month till you find something you like, that could take all year.
What are some of your resolutions or suggestions? Leave them in the comments.
Happy New Year!